- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup Georgia pecan halves
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 small yellow summer squash, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 4 small zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin matchstick slices
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin matchstick slices
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In large frying pan over medium-high heat, place 1 tablespoon of olive oil and when hot add pecan halves. Stir to coat, and let toast for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, or until nuts are a deep rich brown. Remove from the heat, place pecans on paper towels to drain. Set aside.
Place pan over medium heat and place remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in the pan. When hot, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly, until onion slices soften. Add squash, zucchini, and pepper slices; stirring constantly, sauté vegetables until tender, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and season with lemon juice, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the reserved toasted pecans and serve with grilled pork, fish or chicken.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 to 12 minutes
Source: Georgia Pecan Commission